Saturday, March 2, 2013

Quick Crafts for my sanity

Somehow I always forget how much I need creativity in my life.  I don't know how I could possibly forget this fact considering it has been engrained in my DNA since I came out of the womb.  Either way, I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately and started reorganizing my time and looking for some margin in my life.  That's when I realized that I had not been making any room for a creative outlet.  My friends, Jackie and Audrey, are always inspiring me with their homes and how they make time to create.  And really, what girl can live without a little home decorating?  So this week, I reintroduced my "15 minutes of quick crafts for my sanity."  Each little project didn't take any more than 15 minutes each and can be spread out to a little each day or, like this morning, I had a little extra time because it's the weekend (yay!) and I did a couple projects all at once.  Enjoy!

Photobucket

Kids Chalkboard
Supplies:
Chalkboard Paint - $10 for a pint (we have lots left over for other projects)
Smooth Plywood - $10 
Time:  15 minutes for two coats of paint + a husband to mount it to the wall :)

Photobucket

Curtains for our Casita
Supplies:
Old Tablecloth - FREE
Hot glue gun - Already had it
Glue sticks - Already had it
Wire - Already had it
2 pieces of twine - Already had it
Time: 15 minutes each set (total of 30 minutes)
I simply cut the curtains to the length and width I needed and then hot glued the seems instead of sewing.  Thread the fabric onto wire to hang.  Then I used the twine to bunch the fabric to keep the windows open!


Photobucket

We finally put flowers in the planter boxes!  Only took us 3 years :)

Photobucket


Photobucket

Pallet Display
Supplies: 
Old Pallet - FREE
Repurposed pallet nails - FREE
hammer
Time: 15 minutes to nail pallet boards together + a husband to mount it to the wall

Fabric Wrapped Frames
Supplies:
Scraps of Fabric - FREE
Cheap Frames - $1 each
Hot glue gun
Glue sticks
Twine
Staple Gun
Time: 10 minutes each frame
Directions:  Carefully place fabric on the corners in a cross section.  Then glue a small portion of fabric strips and begin wrapping the fabric around the frame until entire frame is covered.  Use a staple gun to staple pieces of twine to the back of the frame and hang!  Super easy and looks great!

Burlap Banner
Supplies:
Burlap - approx. $5/yd
scissors
white paint
paint brush
twine
glue gun
glue sticks
Time: 30 minutes
Directions:  Cut enough triangles of burlap to make the word you want to paint.  Put a small amount of hot glue across the broad part of the burlap triangle and fold it over a long piece of twine.  Repeat until all burlap squares are glued on.  Then use a wide paint brush and white paint to write a letter on each of the triangles.  Put two nails in the pallet display and tie the twine onto the nails.

No comments: